Despite an estimated 300,000 hand injuries each year and a cost to businesses of over $700 million, 70% of workers aren't wearing any hand protection, while another 30% aren't wearing the right glove. That statistic is incredible, and not in a good way. That's why companies like MCR Safety invest in educating users on the differences in personal protective equipment (PPE) and the materials that make up that protection. One of those materials that help keep workers protected from sharp objects is Dyneema®.
Dyneema® was the first HPPE ultra-lightweight fiber to hit the market, allowing for gloves that provide superb cut protection, increased abrasion resistance, durability, and natural hand movement.
Dyneema® was the first HPPE ultra-lightweight fiber to hit the market, allowing for gloves that provide superb cut protection, increased abrasion resistance, durability, and natural hand movement. We manufacture all types of protective gloves and sleeves with Dyneema®. And we know that users are safer around sharp objects when wearing cut-resistant gloves and sleeves made with technology. Unlike nylon, standard leather, or polyester, Dyneema® minimizes the risk of injury while maximizing flexibility and feel for the task.
What is Dyneema?
Dyneema® is a premium brand of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) fiber used for various products ranging from fishing line, rope and even cut-resistant work gloves. Dyneema® fiber is a gel-spun, multi-filament fiber that provides wearers with high-strength products for some challenging environments.
Dyneema® Diamond Technology is the latest unique and highest-performing Dyneema® technology introduced. It doubles the cut resistance of the material over standard Dyneema® fiber by spinning specially engineered microparticles into the polymer. MCR Safety has outfitted all of its gloves with the latest technology.
The material is 15 times stronger than quality steel. For gloves and sleeves, industries like law enforcement, automotive, and metal fabrication rely on fiber to keep them safe from sharp objects. For our technical readers, we encourage you to check out the Dyneema Fact Sheet, which breaks down its chemical resistance and thermal and mechanical properties.
Here are some additional helpful resources we know will help those seeking to understand this high-performing fiber better:
Benefits of The Fiber and Material
Let’s look closely at Diamond Technology and highlight what makes it unique. Here are the relevant factors when comparing gloves to discover if Diamond Tech gloves are what you need:
- Strength. Dyneema® Diamond Technology is up to 15 times stronger than steel and 40% stronger than aramids, based on a weight-for-weight basis. Given this strength, it requires less material to reach the same level of cut protection and does this with double the useful service life.
- Cut and Abrasion Resistance. Dyneema® is the world’s strongest fiber, meaning cut-resistant products are super strong and perform exceptionally well. We list the scores below in our product section.
- Durable. PPE made from Dyneema® Diamond Tech holds up daily, and many options provide dirt-masking properties. Not only that but the color is embedded into the fibers. So they continue to look good and are also washable. As a result, they last longer and maximize cost efficiency.
- Comfortable. Products allow all-day use by radiating the heat away from your hands. They are also thinner and lightweight, adding yet more comfort while in use.
- Confidence. They’re strong, cut, abrasion-resistant, durable, and comfortable. All that adds to the confidence of the individual wearing the PPE.
In addition to these five factors, when considering total cost, you can expect to purchase just nine pairs of gloves per employee per year versus 26 pairs of aramid gloves. That adds up to a 55% savings. It's a big reason why many users will turn to Dyneema, even if there is no immediate concern for cut injuries.
Nylon vs. Dyneema
As we highlight in our article Tips for Choosing Nylon vs. Polyester Gloves, nylon is a low-cost fiber that provides excellent tensile strength and high elasticity. However, compared to Dyneema, nylon doesn't come close to this high-performing juggernaut. Dyneema strength cannot be beaten by a material designed for everyday gloves. However, the cost goes up for increased performance, which users must embrace.
Dyneema® Diamond Technology creates cut-resistant gloves with considerably thinner fibers than alternative products, such as nylon.
Work gloves made with Dyneema® Diamond Technology achieve the same cut performance as comparable conventional products – but with much thinner fibers. They are often 40% lighter and offer high-performing cut resistance. Below are some of our top-selling styles.
MCR Safety Cut Pro® Ninja® Max Cut Resistant Work Gloves 10 Gauge Dyneema® Diamond A3 cut-resistant gloves
MCR Safety Cut Pro® 13 Gauge Dyneema® Diamond A3 cut-resistant gloves
If the above gloves don’t meet your requirements, we’ve developed an entire cut-resistant online glove catalog
to help you pinpoint precisely the suitable gloves you require.
Cut-resistant sleeves provide increased protection past the hand and up a person's forearm. Dyneema sleeves protect numerous occupations from cut and scratch injuries. They go hand-in-hand with other PPE, such as cut-resistant gloves. Below are some of the top-selling styles we offer:
MCR Safety Cut Pro® 10 Gauge Dyneema® A2 cut resistant sleeves
MCR Safety Cut Pro® 7 Gauge Salt and Pepper A2 cut resistant sleeves
MCR Safety Cut Pro® 7 Gauge Dyneema® A2 cut resistant sleeves
Our entire cut-resistant sleeve catalog is here.
Spectra vs Dyneema
Similar to Dyneema®, Spectra is a highly advanced UHMWPE fiber that achieves similar cut-resistance performance. It's made from a competitive fiber that MCR Safety uses in its 9345LD, 7-gauge glove and its 9346D 10-gauge glove.
Dyneema vs Kevlar
Gloves and sleeves made with Kevlar® deliver cut and heat protection, and the fiber is inherently flame-resistant. However, the material is aramid fiber, meaning it is chemically different, and the feel is slightly different from HPPE. However, both are designed for cut-resistant products. Our article An Overview of Aramid Fibers is more on aramid fibers.
When was dyneema invented?
Is Dyneema stronger than Kevlar?
- Dyneema claims their fiber is 15X stronger than steel, whereas Kevlar is 10X stronger. Both have unique benefits beyond just strength, something always to consider.
How abrasion resistant is dyneema cord?
- Dyneema is highly abrasion resistant, leading to a rope that lasts up to four times longer than other materials.
Does dyneema stretch?
- One of the defining characteristics of this fiber is its stretchability. So, as the saying goes, "It fits like a glove."
Is Dyneema breathable?
- PPE with this material radiates heat away from your body, making it comfortable to wear.
Is Dyneema waterproof?
- Yes, but not in our PPE lineup. Dyneema® Composite Fabrics are 100% waterproof and are used to make tents.
Is there a Dyneema shirt?
- There are Dyneema shirts on the marketplace, such as the following shirt. However, MCR Safety doesn't make one at this time. We're exploring more cut clothing, so please comment below if this interests you.
What is Dyneema made of?
- As we highlight on our HPPE page, it's made of polyethylene filament.
Where to buy Dyneema fabric?
Is Dyneema bulletproof?
- We don't carry anything that offers that kind of protection. However, some companies utilize Dyneema armor panels to create ballistic body armor.
We’ve Got You Covered
When it comes to personal protective equipment, especially cut-resistant gloves and sleeves made with Dyneema®, we’ve got you covered. When you elect to wear this technology, you're wearing a product that will provide you with all-day comfort and radiate heat away from your hands, keeping you cooler. We hope you better understand what makes Dyneema unique and trust us in wearing the necessary PPE that protects users from cut injuries. And, if you still have not found the cut-resistant glove you need, be sure to click the below image to check out our entire online cut-resistant catalog. MCR Safety, We Protect People!
Click the below image to leave us comments, questions, or any concerns.
REQUEST A DISTRIBUTOR QUOTE
TRY IT OUT
For over 45 years, MCR Safety has proven to be a world leader in gloves, glasses, and garments. Whether it's lifting sharp objects, carrying heavy materials, or working at a construction site, we are there providing solutions to workplace hazards. It's all part of our commitment to protect people.
No matter your industry, we have the personal protective equipment you need.
Click the above image to be taken directly to our PPE online catalog.
Learn more about MCR Safety by checking out our most recent video. For more information, browse our website, request a catalog, find a distributor, or give us a call at 800-955-6887.