Obtaining your correct work glove size measurement is critical, especially when you're concerned with safety hazards. Yes, it's true that not wearing the right-sized baseball glove, boxing glove, golf glove, or softball glove may cause performance issues. However, not wearing the right-sized safety glove at work can mean a long-lasting injury that will prevent you from playing sports all together.
Don't think we underestimate the importance of properly-fitting sports gloves. By chance, if you're an athlete who stumbled onto our page, the principles we outline carry over into other gloves, too. Plus, you might find a stylish pair of mechanics gloves that carry sports-like qualities you prefer!
We make some very stylish mechanics gloves, but without correct sizing, you'll find yourself wearing an uncomfortable and potentially dangerous product.
In addition to the primary purpose of protecting hands, wearing the correct glove size improves functionality and comfort. For those who use their hands all day at work, you know how awful it is to wear an incorrect size. It means all-day suffering and pain that lasts sometimes well after the workday has ended.
Incorrect sizing can lead to all-day pain and discomfort.
From a company's standpoint, a worker with incorrect sizing in their gloves can lead to hand fatigue and restrict hand dexterity, which affects that person's work efficiency and performance. A glove that is too tight can cut off blood circulation. These consequences of wearing the wrong size glove all lead to a much more significant potential outcome: increased risk of injury. All the points we've listed so far are reasons someone might take their gloves off entirely, which ultimately leaves their unprotected hands exposed to hazards. All it takes is a couple of injuries, and a company's insurance premiums can begin increasing, not to mention lost productivity resulting from injured workers.
The fantastic news is that you don't have to wear the incorrect size glove anymore. In this article, we highlight everything you need to know to ensure that you select the correct glove size for your hands.
If you are unsure about your hand size, you'll need to perform some calculations to determine your glove size. Thankfully, this isn't calculus, so finding your glove size isn't challenging. It only takes a few minutes, especially when you have the right equipment. You will need a measuring tape. If you don't have a measuring tape, you can utilize a string, following the steps below. In addition to the string, you'll need a ruler to confirm your glove size.
You'll need a measuring tape, or a string and a ruler.
Here are the steps to take to determine your glove size:
- You will need to know which of your hands is your dominant hand. The reason for this is because it is typically larger due to increased muscle mass.
- With your measuring tape, measure your hand's circumference, below your knuckles (excluding your thumb). For those measuring with a string, you'll need to mark how much is required to go around your hand.
- Record your measurement in inches. For our string calculators, take the string and align only the amount that covered your hand next to the ruler. That is your glove size!
- Move on to our helpful charts below and our colorful PDF, to determine what size gloves to order.
Armed with the sizing calculations from above, you can now refer to several charts we've provided. These guides will allow you to convert your calculation into sizing letters.
Our first chart is for men, and our second chart is for women. Both will help you navigate, making your glove selection.
Glove Sizing Chart
Our glove sizing PDF will help you find the correct glove size based on your measurements.
As mentioned above, we've created a helpful PDF you can print out to assist your sizing efforts. We've also enhanced two of our most popular selling glove lines with color-coded hems, which allows users to quickly identify the appropriate size they should be wearing.
- Gloves with liners inside tend to have a snug fit, especially if the glove has impact protection on its back. When selecting a glove with these additional features, consider going up a size.
- If you are in-between sizes, round up to the next size.
- For those who prefer looser sizing, go up a size. If you prefer a tighter fit, go down a size. Keep in mind, this approach to size selection should not be made if it could cause additional hazards while working as a result of improperly fitting gloves. Refer questions about glove sizing to your company's safety manager on risks associated with your specific job.
Online Work Glove Catalog
We know how challenging it can be to find smaller-sized gloves. You search and search for the correct glove, and then it's not stocked in your size. This is why we've built sizing directly into our online glove catalog. However, we want to make it even easier for you. Just click the sizing image below to see all the glove sizes we have to offer. Once you have selected your size, you can select additional filters, such as cut-resistance, that best match your glove needs.
Women's Work Glove Sizes
As we highlight in our article on Women's PPE, it can be challenging to find smaller-sized gloves. The good news is that we continue adding styles regularly, often created with women's glove needs in mind. Our 9673XS and 9699XS are top-rated sellers due to their smaller size and the fact that nylon easily conforms to one's hand. We may not be able to specify gender-specific gloves, as we can with safety vests; however, we can highlight how smaller sizes made with nylon are excellent options for fitting to different sized hands. For those needing cut protection, our 92718PUXS is a featherweight PU option many utilize for all-day comfort and precise grip.
How to measure glove size?
- We've summed up the sizing process above. Also, we're happy to answer any questions you have about our sizing recommendations. You can leave us a question or comment below or call us directly.
How to determine your glove size?
- Once you have your hand's measurements, you can match that number to the charts provided.
What is a medium glove size?
- It is a glove size that fits a person's hand size from 8 to 9-inches. The most important thing is knowing your specific size. Once you know your size, you can then find the glove that most closely matches your needs.
What size is 2x glove?
- It is a glove size that is ll-inches and higher. The beautiful thing about our online glove catalog is we have a sizing filter on the left-hand side. There you can quickly navigate to our larger sizes, which include 2x sizes. We even go up to 3X in some styles!
Your Well-Being, Your Sizing
MCR Safety is recognized as a leader in hand protection. And while we have some fantastic products to keep you protected, being a leader means more than just offering great products. It means supplying you with the necessary information that helps you understand those products. We hope the above has provided additional knowledge that puts you on a path to staying safe, protected, and comfortable in your correctly sized gloves!
Click the image above to request a quote, leave us a comment, ask a question, or share any concerns.
For over 45 years, MCR Safety has proven to be a world leader in gloves, glasses, and garments. Whether it's on the shop floor, an oil rig, or a construction site, we are there to provide solutions to workplace hazards. It's all part of our commitment to protect people.
No matter your industry, we have the personal protective equipment you need.
Learn more about MCR Safety by checking out our most recent video. For more information, browse our website, request a catalog, find a distributor, or give us a call at (800) 955-6887.